What we achieved for Shock Middle East
in 3 months
(CPV) in 3 months
Shock Middle East is the fastest growing radio network in the UAE. As a cutting-edge media trading and broadcasting company, they’re responsible for the region’s first dedicated dance music station, Dance FM 97.8, a feel-good station, Heart 107.1 FM and a contemporary, fresh Arabic station, Radio Hala 95.6
To support the company’s growth plan, Shock Middle East wanted to run an integrated marketing campaign to increase listenership across 3 radio stations under their management (Dance 97.8, Hala 95.6 and Heart 107.1).
In turn, it was hoped that as the number of listeners would expand for each radio station, so too would the number of advertisers willing to pay to reach their respective target audiences via radio. This cycle would naturally see sales increase for Shock Middle East from radio advertising, ultimately helping the company to achieve their revenue and profit goals for the year.
React was brought in to help each radio station build awareness and listenership across social media platforms, primarily Facebook and YouTube. Video ads would be the medium of choice for this campaign to coincide with their traditional advertising efforts across outdoor, radio and print.
We were faced with a number of strategic challenges for this project, but ultimately, the key questions that needed to be addressed were:
- How do we ensure the right audience sees and engages with our video ads online?
- What metrics need to be measured to effectively manage the performance of this campaign?
- Given the 3 month campaign cycle (which is relatively short in digital terms), what would be our plan for optimizing the campaigns to yield the highest returns as campaign data came in?
RESEARCH AND STRATEGIC PLANNING
To address the first question, the team at React knew we had to get a better understanding of who Shock Middle East’s ideal radio listener would be, and once we know who they were, to better understand how these individuals use the internet and social media to ensure they see our ads.
Therefore, we began the large undertaking to define and create a ‘digital persona’ for the target groups relevant to each radio station. The digital personas included information such as:
- What are the key demographics of these individuals ranging from nationalities, age groups, and locations?
- What are the key psychographics motivating our target audience, for example, what are their hobbies, music interests, preferred times of day online etc?
We used a number of research tools from Google Trends, Google Search Console, Google Keyword Planner, and Facebook Audience Insights to help us better develop our digital persona’s to best reflect the true nature of Shock Middle East’s ideal and untapped radio listener.
To address the second question, we had to first take a holistic view of the campaign’s objective. As there was no digital call to action (for example, typically an online campaign may request the listener to ‘click here, download now, complete the form, enquire today etc’, we knew the metrics that had to be measured revolved around the following areas:
- The number of video ad views (how many times did our target audience watch the video ads
- The view rate of the video ads (how long the viewer would watch the video ad before skipping or moving along hence demonstrating their interest in the subject matter)
- The cost per video view (how much Shock Middle East would be charged by Facebook and Google everytime their target audience watched their ads)
- And ultimately, return-on-ad-spend (in this case, how many video views were gained for every US dollar spent on the campaign)
AUDIENCE AND CAMPAIGN BUILDING
With Shock’s digital personas and critical metrics in place, our digital advertising team started to program the personas into Facebook’s Advert Manager and Google Ads (the platforms that deliver ads to their users and our target audience) in order to start the campaign.
To address the third question, we considered and planned out the possible technical variables that would impact our campaigns over the coming 3 months. By doing so, we hoped to create an optimization strategy that would be more ‘proactive’ rather than ‘reactive’ to ensure we made most of the short campaign window and Shock Middle East’s media budgets. Some key questions we asked ourselves were:
- How should the campaigns, adsets / adgroups and ads be structured?
- Which optimization objectives and A/B testing parameters should be explored?
- What ad. copy variations should be considered?
By considering the answers to these questions before starting our campaigns, we are able to review real-time data and implement ideas for optimizations much quicker than a typical comparison agency ensuring we maximized returns over the duration of the campaign’s lifetime.
Although the campaign was highly challenging due to its vast scale, React was able to deliver amazing results for Shock Middle East for each of their 3 radio stations. When data from the final month was compared with the start of the campaign, we had successfully managed to:
- Reduce the cost of each ad view by 43%
- Increase viewer retention (the view rate) by 39%
- Grew the return-on-ad-spend (ROAS) by a significant 113% (the number of ad views gained for every US Dollar spent)
If you would like to leverage the effectiveness of video advertising via social media for your business, the team at React would love to assist you. Please contact us today to learn more.
Interested to see what we can help you achieve for your business?
Book a free consultation with one of our team members to discuss your marketing goals